Monday, April 21, 2008

Whatever happened to AM radio?

So the boss sends me to Iowa for a funfilled week of ballparks and arenas. First stop: Dubuque. It's a 5-hour journey but no problem -- I have a good car radio.

One problem: You can't find an AM station south of Rochester that comes in without a fistful of static. Oh, there were plenty of FMers, full of country twanging and gospel music. But AMers? Few and far between. At least my radio couldn't find them. Granted, there are some back roads in this fine state but still, you would have thought I could have found something.

Whatever happened to AM radio anyway?

3 comments:

Steph said...

I'm not even sure I know how to change my radio to AM....

Anonymous said...

HD Radio (HD/IBOC) is jamming both AM and FM, especially nighttime AM:

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com

Purple Raider53 said...

The things you learn these days. Thanks, pocketradio.