Friday, June 27, 2008

Man vs. Machine , part III

Well, I am presuming Aaron's adage (see previous post) that owning a Mac is going to my life easier is true. True to form, however, the transition isn't moving along swimmingly.

The first problem developed when I tried to access my msn email. I could get to msn.com but that was it. I ran into an odd message that I still haven't figured out. What it told me was I needed to download such and such because ... it was there.

Then, I tried to access into a ballgame via mlb.com. (It's a subscription service that you register for. Works fine at work and on the old computer.) No dice. I needed to download a bunch of things. I managed to download what was needed but installing them is another matter. It's not listed in my help manual. Neither is a phone number for computer-come-lately guys like me to call to get an answer. You see, Apple wants you to either go online to handle such problems.

My long-suffering wife, after hearing a few too many expletive deleteds uttered from the bowels of the basement, brightly suggested I head back to the Apple store where I bought the thing for advice. It's a sound idea but, being a stubborn male, I will try other methods first.

Getting used to a new system requires patience and, when it comes to computers, I don't have much. But I have matured. After last night's battle, I merely sighed, counted to 1000, shut the computer off and did not throw it against the wall.

Progress takes many forms.

No comments: