Thursday, July 10, 2008

Oh, to be young again

I am in Thunder Bay for work this weekend. When you go on the road, you never know what you are going to find. For example ... Tonight, I ran into a fellow named Ryan who is doing something many of us can only dream of doing.

Ryan, who looks like he is his late 20s, is biking across Canada. He started in his hometown of Calgary and says he will finish in Halifax. He is going at his own pace and his trip sounds like a Canadian version of John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley."

How many of us have yearned just to go see the country? This guy said he worked like crazy for three years and saved as much as he could. He is a tekkie and says he has three job offers "waiting" for him in Calgary. In the meantime, he is biking with friends and occasionally hooking up with various people as he moves across the land.

I haven't decided if I envy him or hate him. But it was a fun time talking to Ryan and I was happy to buy him a beer. I do know this, though: He looked like the happiest guy I have seen in a long time.

No comments: