Monday, November 9, 2009

11 is a significant number, after all

According to a website I ran across, the proper gift for a 11th wedding anniversary is ... steel?

Didn't sound very romantic to me.

My wife and I celebrated our 11th anniversary last Saturday in a slightly more traditional way. We had dinner at a local steak house we like and then met a close friend for a couple of drinks.

11 is an odd number in more ways than one.

Outside of a craps table (and football coaches), it doesn't mean much to most people. It doesn't stand for much else. But it does seem to me a milestone of sorts. It means you are now well into the second decade - a threshold that a lot of relationships don't reach. As in all such relationships, we have had our ups and downs. But when you march into a second decade, it tells me that we trust and love each other to such an extent that we can allow for disagreements to occur without becoming unbalanced. That, too, isn't very romantic. But it is something to be proud of.

I have always felt they got it kinda backwards in "Love Story," Love means wanting to say "I'm sorry" when you really feel that way. After 11 years, I still want to say that to Lynne.

Happy Anniversary, dear. Looking forward to the next 11 years as well.

No comments: