Sunday, January 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home indeed!

Got released St. Joe's yesterday after three days and never was so happy to be on Cottage Avenue again.

Two things happened.

1) The doctor cleaned up the at the site where the stents were put in. It was pretty messy for a few days but we are done to a gauze pad and an oversized bandage that covers the area. There are some movement restrictions (no lifting of anything over 10 pounds, no snow shoveling, no walking the dog until there is no ice on the sidewalks, etc.) but otherwise things are fine.

2) Somewhere in the last week, I developed a staph infection. We don't where I encountered this nasty thing. Could have been in the doctor's office. Could have been at SPA the weekend before. Could have been at church on Friday for all we know. But the little bugger got into the blood and that is all that really matters. Quite often, these things can be handled by oral medications. However, because of the recent stents put into me, Dr. Kravitz felt he could take no chances. So, I have a new companion for the next 4-6 weeks, a portable penicillin unit. It comes in a carrying case that can be put around your waist like a fanny pack.

I have to take it with me everywhere except the shower. And, yes, I can already seen carrying this baggage everywhere I go (even to bed) has the potential to become a pain-in-the-rump. But I can pretty much go as I please and certainly can get around the house with no issues. I will be able to do some minor chores, such as laundry and the dishes.

It definitely beats the hell out of the alternatives.

There are things that still need to be done. I am learning how to change the penicillin. (It must be done on a daily basis.) I will have to adjust to the fact there will be home visits by nurses a couple times a week to during my time with my new companion. They need to draw blood, change dressings and the other duties home nurses do.

My brother Paul, who is a doctor, gave me a great piece of advice. He told me I have every right to be mad and frustrated over what happened. After I am done with that, I simply have to move on. It's hard advice but it's correct. So I have to work at not obsessing over how this happened and simply work on getting healthier so I can rid myself of this device.

My friend Steph Harris (and others) told me I will simply have to slow down a bit. If I didn't do so, she (and others, such as my wife and her sisters) promised to kick my butt. That is what I believed is known as tough love. I may not like that message a lot. But I love the messengers for saying i.

One other observation. When something like this happens to you, you learn a lot about yourself ... and other people. We all have people we consider good friends but times like this remind you how good they really are and how much you really cherish them.

But what amazes you sometimes is when other people you know call or text you to wish you well and ask if there is anything they can do for you. What also astounds you is when your comrades at your favorite saloon band together and tell your wife to call if there is anything they can do - even to do somewhat so basic as getting groceries or walking the dog. That makes you feel warm and is the type of encouragement you need.

The real bottom line is this is, as my vascular doctor said, a bump in the road. A serious bump perhaps. But there are people in a helluva worse mental, spiritual and physical shape than I am in today. Do me a favor, will ya? If you know one of these folks, lend them a hand in whatever way works best for you and them.

I know what people have done for me and can anticipate what some folks might have to do down the line. In this forum, all I can say is a public thanks to one and all and a personal promise to pay it forward at some point down the like.

Privately, I am looking forward to telling each and every one of them how grateful I am.

No comments: