Sunday, February 24, 2008

Life Isn't Fair Department (again)

Two things happened this week that reminded me how fragile life is ... and how much of a mystery it can be at times.

The first occurred in mid-week. I got an email from the wife of a guy who was a couple years behind me in college. The fellow passed away last May at age 48. I was out of town at the time Greg died but got back in time to go to the funeral. For some reason, I didn't. I don't recall why but I am sure it wasn't a very good one. Shame on me for not going.

At any rate, Greg's widow emailed me wanting to know if I could get a ticket for her and her daughter to the state girls high school hockey tournament last weekend in St. Paul. It was no problem and I was happy to do so. But it started me thinking about Greg and how unfair things seem at times. Here was a young guy who loved his wife and his daughters, coached kids and is the type of person who should be a role model. Why him? I can think of several other people the world could do without.

Later in the week, my sister-in-law Kathy, who had a mild heart attack (if there really is such a thing) several years ago, landed back in the hospital with some type of re-occurrence. She seems to be doing fine but, still, here is somebody who is young (in her 40s), whipsmart, a hard worker, volunteers at a grade school, has a great husband, etc. Again, the type of person who should be looking forward to life instead of worrying about what did (or did not) happen to her the other day.

You balance those people against the many folks you know or are aware of who are miserable excuses for human beings. These are the folks who care only for themselves and wouldn't dream of even lifting their arm to help an old person cross a slippery road unless they got five bucks in advance.

And you end up wondering what the overall plan is by the man upstairs. In these two cases, it doesn't seem right.

No comments: