Friday, October 24, 2008

Oh, What a Night!

Went to see Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons last night. I don't go to many concerts but I must say Frankie Valli can still go pretty good ... at age 74. He sang all his old hits (He hasn't had a new one for 20 years or so) and a few songs I had never heard before.

The whole thing went rather quickly -- it lasted just over an hour and a half. But there was little down time and I have no problem admitting I was singing and bopping along with my wife and our good friend Steph Harris. That's not the easiest thing to do (and it was probably not a pretty sight) at the Orpheum Theatre, which is designed more for plays and more stately concerts than these guys. But it was still a lot of fun.

Two things struck me, though.

1) There was a woman behind us who seemed positively annoyed to be there. She hissed at us when we tried to snap a picture (without flash to be courteous). Later, when Valli encouraged the crowd to sing and clap along, she was as stationary and as unhappy looking as a Detroit Lion defensive back. The whole idea of going to see a guy like that is to sing, dance and clap along. I don't know what this woman was doing there. But she walked out glaring at the world.

2) When I go to one of these concerts, I always find myself wondering if today's singers will be able to draw crowds (the place was packed last night) and still perform their stuff 30 years from now. I don't claim to be an expert on, say, rap, but I find it hard to believe those fellows will be bopping like this to crowds like we saw last night in 2038.

I do think, however, that lady will still be scowling.

No comments: