Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bewitched, bothered, bewildered and befuddled about Bejeweled

There is a game on Facebook called Bejeweled Blitz. In a nutshell, it involves moving characters around so you can get at least three running consecutively in any direction. When you do that, they dissolved and a new list of items go onto the screen.

It is a frustrating and ... very addictive game. I had seen this evil invention on the internet before but had forgotten about it until it was called to my attention recently.

I became a quick convert. The Facebook game is a timed one - you have a minute to get these things in line. If you can morph four or five in line, you get more points. After several tries, I have managed to get up to 65,000 points. This sounds good but two friends of mine are well over 100,000. Either they have smaller, more nimble fingers are simply a helluva smarter than I am. (I choose to believe the first idea.)

What is really maddening about this game is I tend to see combos a second too late. I move a green gob into position for a three spot and then notice that if I had moved it the other way, I would have gotten a four or five spotter. Arrggh.

These games are supposed to bring you relaxation. In a way, I suppose they do. But what happens is you find yourself suddenly being very competitive because a young friend of yours has 116,000 points and you "only" have 65,000. I don't like playing golf for a buck a round and I find myself playing this game by the hour just to improve my score to get ahead of somebody ... for no money. That says something about me. The problem is I don't exactly know if it is a good something.

No comments: