Saturday, July 25, 2009

Nirvana is a wonderful place

It was a weekend to get away from the rat race. And what better place to do so than in one of Minnesota's little havens of heaven? My brother Frank and his wife Peggy live in Lanesboro, a tiny town of 800 people a couple hours south of the Twin Cities. My brother Paul and his wife Pam happened to be at a seminar of sorts in nearby Rochester so it was the perfect time for a mini-family reunion.

But Lanesboro is more than that. Whether it is hanging out at the market in town, going to yard sales (where I bought a book on hunting and the outdoors authored by former president Grover Cleveland, attending a terrific play at the Commonweal Theater or just sitting on the porch, there is a serenity here that is much needed.

I am not sure I could live in a town like Lanesboro full time. But I know my soul feels better every time I visit and I am always reluctant to leave.

I understand a bit better what Kevin Costner talked about in "Fields of Dreams" about heaven in Iowa. We all need this every now and then.

No comments: