Saturday, January 26, 2008

I Stand (Partially) Rebuked

Well, you have to love the immediacy of the web. My friend The Steph put a quick comment below my most recent screed, noting that there are several D-I athletes who do good things and are quality people. She's right, of course, and it should have been duly noted.

True, it only takes a few knuckleheads to spoil it for everybody. But it seems to me there are more and more of them now than in days of yore. Perhaps this is because there are more venues for reporting and more people watching for this sort of stuff to occur.

The main point of the note was (and still is) the majority of NCAA athletes compete away from the glare of television lights. The level of play (plus the quality of people playing and coaching it) doesn't get the credit it deserves. A Bobby Knight type of coach -- the guy who constantly berates players, media and officials -- can't survive at the D-III level. The players are too smart to take such abuse and would tell him they have better things to do with their time.

Yes, the good people in D-I athletics deserve to be noted more. For example, the other day, Tubby Smith, the U of Minnesota men's BB coach, recently spent a couple of hours filling lunch orders at a local taco place. I didn't get the reason why but he was doing it with a smile for everyone. Bully for him.

No comments: